Over the past few weeks we’ve added a collection of sought-after Kruger properties to our portfolio. The newcomers are: Bundox River Lodge, Nyala Safari Lodge, and Nambu Camp. Having been part of our sister company’s portfolio for many years, Nambu Camp is certainly no stranger to our team. Although Bundox and Nyala are the new kids on the block, they’ve both already firmly cemented their reputation in the safari industry.
And in the next week, we’re due to launch YET another property—one that offers a comfortable, humble stay in a bushveld setting. Each of the newcomers offers something unique to our portfolio. Whether it’s riverside luxury, comfy stays for multi-general travellers or relaxed lodges overlooking waterholes, Sun Destinations has something for all types of safari-goers.
We’ve given you a run down about each lodge below. It’s now up to you to make an informed decision about where to stay.
Bundox River Lodge: Honeymooners and Luxury Seekers
Bundox River Lodge is ideally located on the banks of the burgeoning Olifants River in the northern reaches of the Balule Nature Reserve. Bundox sets a new standard of luxury with its glamorous river facing Meru style tents, each built on raised wooden platforms overlooking the bend in the river below. On-site you’ll discover river facing tents, expansive lounge areas overlooking the river, a small splash pool and an exceptional hideaway resting comfortably under a canopy of trees.
Bundox River Lodge Highlights
- Perched on the banks of the mighty Olifants River in the Balule Nature Reserve
- Lodge has a tranquil atmosphere
- 5 Meru-style tented suites with private viewing decks overlooking the river
- Stylish and luxurious atmosphere
- Two game drives per day
- 5000 hectares for Big 5 traverse, including 8 kilometres of riverfront
- Lodge is built under a canopy of trees and is ideal for birdwatching
- Opportunity to spot the rare Pel’s fishing owl
- Regular sightings of hippos and crocs from the viewing decks at the lodge
Nambu Camp: Simple Sophistication for Relaxed Safari-Goers
Sitting comfortably on an old anthill elevated above the landscape, rests a simple and sophisticated camp called Nambu. Its location in the heart of the Big 5 Olifants West Nature Reserve combined with its stellar guiding and warm hospitality, makes it a sought-after lodge in the greater Hoedspruit area. This hilltop lodge is a wildlife haven where tawny eagles soar above and herds of elephants drink down below. On-site, there is a swimming pool, raised wooden platforms with viewing decks, and boma area with stellar views.
Nambu Camp Highlights
- Authentic safari lodge with 6 en-suite bedrooms
- Spacious viewing platform overlooking a dry riverbed and waterhole
- A large traverse area with the Olifant’s River running through the reserve
- Simple, yet modern and stylish cuisine is served in open dining areas
- Natural, Safari-style decor throughout, raised wooden pathways lead the way through the camp and gardens
- Swimming pool and sun loungers with bushveld and mountain views
- Newly revamped rooms with a sophisticated look and feel
Nyala Safari Lodge: Families and Multi-generational Travellers
Resting comfortably on the banks of the seasonal Mohlabetsi River in the Kruger’s Balule Nature Reserve sits the inimitable Nyala Safari Lodge. This is a 5-bedroomed lodge with thatched accommodation in an iconic rondawel style. On-site, there is a boma area overlooking a thriving waterhole, swimming pool, and viewing deck with hammocks. Activities include two game drives a day which depart at first light and late afternoon when the nocturnal predators are most active. For safari-goers wanting to capture the spirit of adventure, there are bush dinners and boma dinners available.
Nyala Safari Lodge Highlights
- A simple, luxury lodge with a relaxed atmosphere
- Located in a private concession in the Big 5 Balule Game Reserve
- Overlooks the seasonal Mohlabetsi River
- Eco-aware lodge with a focus on sustainable dining
- Traversing rights of roughly 5000 hectares
- In addition to game drives, there are optional boma dinners and bush breakfasts
- There are only 5 thatched chalets, which means a personalised safari experience
- A floodlit waterhole in front of the boma
- All chalets have indoor and outdoor showers