Occupying 365 000 hectares of pristine bushveld territory on the outskirts of the famed Moremi Game Reserve, Mankwe Tented Retreat’s rugged wilderness location is certainly a major drawcard for explorers. In addition to their expansive traverse, Mankwe has recently extended their traverse to include the Khwai River, a predator-rich region known for its prolific big cat sightings. Mankwe’s safari activity offerings cover the full scope of both land and water based safaris, ensuring that eager safari-goers have ample opportunity to spot big game.
When guests aren’t birdwatching from the comfort of the lodge or observing the perennial drama of the African Bushveld unfold at the waterhole, they can enjoy a choice of on-site or off-site activities. Most of the full day activities are set in the Moremi, and in the network of channels on the Okavango Delta. It takes just 3-hours by road to get from Mankwe to Moremi, a journey in itself that traverses through prestigious territory before arriving at the Moremi gate.
The off-site activity options include:
- Full day safaris – with packed lunches – to Khwai River in Moremi Game Reserve, where eagle-eyed guests are bound to spot predators hiding out in the thickets.
- Boat cruises on the open waterways of the Okavango Delta can be added into the full day Moremi safari. Boat cruises take place in a small motorboat, and provide is is where elephants, hippos, and sitatunga can easily be spotted from the comfort of the boat.
- Mokoro excursions through the Okavango Delta’s channels (dependent on water levels) can be added to the full day safari.
The on-site activity options include:
- Morning and afternoon game drives, as well as night drives by spotlight take place on the concession in the event that no full-day safari takes place.
- Special sundowner set-ups
- Birdwatching from the comfort of the lodge.
None of these activities are compulsory. If guests would like to stay at the lodge, relax around the pool, play games in one of the relaxation lounges, or get spa treatments; then they are welcome to do so. A safari isn’t just about game viewing!
Mankwe Tented Retreat is located on the eastern edge of the Okavango Delta, and is the perfect place from which to begin a journey into the Delta. The exceptional location of the lodge in true Botswana wilderness makes it a regular host to elephant, buffalo, lion, leopard, cheetah, and wild dogs. The lack of fences allows for free-roaming wildlife, resident lions, an abundance of elephants, and incomprehensible room to explore.