4 years ago, in 2014, we launched our first “Week in Pictures”. The idea was to showcase our ranger’s images and update guests about sightings from the week, focussing on the more prominent moments in the bushveld. Week in Pictures went live every Friday and it was a fantastic way to kick off the weekend. The launch of the Week in Pictures saw many lodges and camps following suit, ensuring that the airwaves are continuously flooded with exquisite safari images on a weekly basis (never a bad thing!).
For a brief period of time we took a break from Week in Pictures. But now we’re back – and things are better than ever. We won’t just be showcasing our top weekly images from our lodges, but also our videos and news from our roaming media team. You’ve missed Week in Pictures. And we’ve missed you.
Uncover the marvels of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve, Botswana, Sabi Sand and the Great Karoo (Western Cape). We have camps located in each of the listed destinations and therefore have access to an array of contrasting scenes and unique wildlife sightings.
Sun Destinations has a permanent photographer based at one of the camps, and she moves between places in pursuit of photographing rare moments in the wild. Rogan, our videographer, is based at a neighbouring camp and he also roams between various camps/lodges. Coupled with that, our rangers and guides at each camp happen to be budding photographers. Together, guides possess an absolute arsenal of talent!
Here’s how the Sun Destinations “Week in Pictures” will play out :
- A handful of images taken during the week will be selected and showcased on the Sun Destinations Facebook page, and the relevant camp page. There will be a link to the blog housing the kaleidoscope of images to have emerged from the week.
- Things get hectic. Camps get busy. Life happens. Some weeks we might feature images from all of our camps, and other weeks only a select few. This is dependent on the submissions from guides and where are our visual team is based at that given moment.
- We will launch on a Monday instead of a Friday.
- The new addition to Week in Pictures is video. We’ll share videos that have been edited and launched during the week.
- We’ll keep the words to a minimum and let the media do the talking.
- Our team will be sure to give you insight into what we have planned for the week ahead, and any other newsworthy items.
- You’ll discover the images shared on the Sun Destinations Facebook page.
Chacma Bush Camp in Maseke Game Reserve
Highlight : Spotting one of the Maseke male lion youngsters mating with the lioness that has 3 sub-adults.
Walkers Bush Villa in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
Highlight : Spotting the Sunset Dam leopardess trying to run away from a small but pushy clan of hyena.
Xobega Island Camp (Okavanga Delta) and Tuskers Bush Camp (Kwatale Conservancy)
Highlight : Observing the elephant herds from up close at Tuskers, and watching hippo guard the waterways of the Okavango Delta. This past week we also hosted the Botswana Mega Educational 2018 (#BotswanaMegaEd2018).
RAW Botswana, Motswiri Camp
Highlight : The Selinda Spillway began to flow overnight. Guests went to bed and woke up the next morning to a waterlogged landscape!
Africa on Foot and nThambo Tree Camp in the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve
Highlight : The return of the African wild dogs to the Klaserie traverse, 34 leopard sightings within 36 days and a huge breeding herd of elephants arrive at Africa on Foot’s splash pool.
Roam Private Game Reserve in the Great Karoo
Roam is the latest addition to the Sun Destinations family, and recently our videographer/photographer Rogan spent a considerable amount of time in the Karoo. This past week a few incredible images emerged from his portfolio. Highlights at Roam have been the cheetah and buffalo relocation.